Do you know what the odds are of winning the Powerball lottery? 1 in 175,000,000, that's what. In fact, they say you have a better chance of being struck by lightning than winning the lottery, which some fans could find off-putting.
And yet, despite the overwhelming odds that statisticians love to quote, every year hundreds of people walk away huge winners thanks to the Powerball lottery - including the lucky three who recently split the mega $564 million up for grabs, the third-largest jackpot in Powerball history! So yes, while there are those who may scoff at the chance of being able to win such unbelievable prizes, there are those who manage it, and magnificently too!
Need some proof? Just take a look at who's been lucky enough to walk away with the biggest Powerball jackpots over the years:
1. $590.5 million: The biggest jackpot in Powerball history was won quite by accident, by Gloria Mackenzie in 2003. She explains, "While in line at Publix, another lottery player was kind enough to let me go ahead ... in line to purchase the winning quick-pick ticket". It seems the saying is true - no good deed goes unpunished!
2. $587.5 million: This time the jackpot was split between two tickets - one bought by Matthew Good, who only spent $10 on it, despite being encouraged to spend $20 by the store clerk who sold it to him. Matthew eventually went on to spend part of his winnings on a red Camaro - not a bad return on investment on a $10 purchase! The second lucky ticket was bought by couple Cindy and Mark Hill, who at first doubted their chances of winning and told their daughter not to bank on it. Of course, once the Hills realised they had won, they made up for their comments by taking their daughter to the beach, and buying her a horse.
3. $564 million: The most recent whopper of a jackpot, the February 2015 draw saw three mega millionaires being made, one each from Texas, Puerto Rico and North Carolina. While single mother Marie Holmes professes to be the winner from North Carolina, no formal claims on the jackpot have yet been made.
4. $448.4 million: It's rare that you hear of a group of winners more deserving than these. In August 2013, one of three winning jackpot tickets was bought by a syndicate made up of 16 victims of Superstorm Sandy. Choosing to take the cash value of $86 million, they split it equally between them, celebrating the lucky break that life had finally thrown their way.
5. $425.3 million: In February 2014, B. Raymond Buxton foretold his good fortune by wearing a t-shirt that read "Luck of the Jedi I Have" while purchasing his ticket. It seems the empire struck back in a winning way for Buxton, delivering a jackpot of over $425 million, and giving him the means to donate money to charity, and finance his travels.
As you can see, while the odds may not quite be in your favour when you look at the stats, someone has to win - and that someone could very well be you! Of course you'll have to buy a ticket first, which you can do from GiantLottos.com. Purchase yours today and who knows - winnings could strike at any moment!
Online lottery is a international sensation that frequently draws millions of players from around the globe who play for jackpots from big lotteries. You can change your life easily with a big lotto jackpot or any one of the other huge prize money tiers!