24 October 2016
Don't look now, but this month Giant Lottos has a frighteningly fabulous offer just for you! Simply complete our fun Halloween quiz below, and you'll instantly qualify for a 66% deposit bonus. How alarmingly awesome is that?
Start prepping for our Halloween quiz by taking a look at the fun facts below, and make sure you're in it to win it with a bonus so sensational, it's scary!
1. Believe it or not, Halloween actually ranks as the sixth-most popular card-giving holiday according to Hallmark, with up to 20 million cards sent each year. It still has a long way to go before it overtakes Christmas though, which ranks at number one with a massive 1.5 billion cards sent annually.
2. With so many boxes of chocolates given as gifts, you might think that Valentine's Day would come out on top as the sweetest holiday. You'd be wrong though, because when it comes to sales, Halloween outranks it by far, selling twice as many chocolates and sweets and raking in a whopping $1.9 billion for the candy industry.
3. How much do Americans love Halloween? A whole lot, according to the National Retail Federation. Just last year alone, a majority of 64% celebrated the holiday, spending on average $74.34 on costumes, decorations and sweets.
4. Worried about the safety of trick or treating? Why not try trunk or treating instead, an alternative introduced in 2000. Rather than going door-to-door, participants park their cars in circles in public parking lots, schools or churches, dress up in costumes, and open their trunks to distribute treats safely and easily.
5. Costumes and candy must cost a lot right? Either that or Americans love spending money on Halloween - because according to statistics, it's the second largest commercial holiday in the States, outstripped only by Christmas. Start saving now, because with $7 billion spent on Halloween alone in 2015, looks like you're going to need every cent you can get!
6. If you think that's a lot, you'd be amazed to know that a third of that $7 billion total is spent on just costumes - for the 41 million trick or treaters round the USA. In 2014, an unbelievable $2.8 billion was spent on fancy dress for children aged 5 to 14. We don't even want to know how much the adults spend on their outfits!
7. Out of pumpkins this year? Try turnips instead for a completely authentic celebration. Originally brought to the USA by Irish immigrants, turnips were carved into ghoulish caricatures in order to ward off evil spirits and guide lost souls. Since turnips were harder to find in the States, pumpkins were used instead, which is where today's Jack o' Lantern tradition comes from.
8. Short for 'All Hallows' Eve', or 'Hallows' Evening', Halloween is a commemoration of the evening before All Hallows' (Holy) Day on 1 November, and All Souls' Day on 2 November. Known collectively as Allhallowtide, these three days formed an early Christian celebration - a time for honouring saints, and praying for the recently departed as they made their way to Heaven.
9. Although today we may call it Halloween, the concept of dressing in costume and leaving treats out is originally derived from the Celtic festival of the dead, known as 'Samhain'. In order to appease the spirits that were believed to roam from door to door, people would wear costumes and leave food out - a custom that over time evolved into the Halloween celebrations we recognise today.
Here's how it works:
• Answer all six questions correctly, using the facts above and what you already know about Halloween to help you. Enter as many times as it takes for you to get all six right.
• Once you've successfully completed the quiz, you'll be given a unique promo code.
• Login into your Giant Lottos account, visit the Redeem Promo Code Page under the My Account tab in the navigation, and enter your promo code.
• Once you've redeemed your promo code, we'll automatically credit you with a 66% deposit bonus on your next recharge! How terrifyingly easy is that?
Ready to play? Then let's get started!