19 February 2015
Do you know what the odds are of winning the Powerball lottery? 1 in 175,000,000, that's what. In fact, they say you have a better chance of being struck by lightning than winning the lottery, which some fans could find off-putting.
And yet, despite the overwhelming odds that statisticians love to quote, every year hundreds of people walk away huge winners thanks to the Powerball lottery - including the lucky three who recently split the mega $564 million up for grabs, the third-largest jackpot in Powerball history! So yes, while there are those who may scoff at the chance of being able to win such unbelievable prizes, there are those who manage it, and magnificently too!
Need some proof? Just take a look at who's been lucky enough to walk away with the biggest Powerball jackpots over the years:
1. $590.5 million: The biggest jackpot in Powerball history was won quite by accident, by Gloria Mackenzie in 2003. She explains, "While in line at Publix, another lottery player was kind enough to let me go ahead ... in line to purchase the winning quick-pick ticket". It seems the saying is true - no good deed goes unpunished!
2. $587.5 million: This time the jackpot was split between two tickets - one bought by Matthew Good, who only spent $10 on it, despite being encouraged to spend $20 by the store clerk who sold it to him. Matthew eventually went on to spend part of his winnings on a red Camaro - not a bad return on investment on a $10 purchase! The second lucky ticket was bought by couple Cindy and Mark Hill, who at first doubted their chances of winning and told their daughter not to bank on it. Of course, once the Hills realised they had won, they made up for their comments by taking their daughter to the beach, and buying her a horse.
3. $564 million: The most recent whopper of a jackpot, the February 2015 draw saw three mega millionaires being made, one each from Texas, Puerto Rico and North Carolina. While single mother Marie Holmes professes to be the winner from North Carolina, no formal claims on the jackpot have yet been made.
4. $448.4 million: It's rare that you hear of a group of winners more deserving than these. In August 2013, one of three winning jackpot tickets was bought by a syndicate made up of 16 victims of Superstorm Sandy. Choosing to take the cash value of $86 million, they split it equally between them, celebrating the lucky break that life had finally thrown their way.
5. $425.3 million: In February 2014, B. Raymond Buxton foretold his good fortune by wearing a t-shirt that read "Luck of the Jedi I Have" while purchasing his ticket. It seems the empire struck back in a winning way for Buxton, delivering a jackpot of over $425 million, and giving him the means to donate money to charity, and finance his travels.
As you can see, while the odds may not quite be in your favour when you look at the stats, someone has to win - and that someone could very well be you! Of course you'll have to buy a ticket first, which you can do from GiantLottos.com. Purchase yours today and who knows - winnings could strike at any moment!
Online lottery is a international sensation that frequently draws millions of players from around the globe who play for jackpots from big lotteries. You can change your life easily with a big lotto jackpot or any one of the other huge prize money tiers!
Based in Italy and played across the globe, the SuperEnaLotto game commenced its life in the 1950's just as the "EnaLotto" but saw a major rebranding being carried out during 1997; and is currently the Superenalotto that everyone know presently.
Buy Superenalotto Tickets
EuroJackpot was conceived of in late 2011 by regions not taking part in the Pan-European EuroMillions lottery. These non-participating countries set about formulating their own joint lotto in order that they too could take part in the exhilaration of life-changing jackpots.
Buy EuroJackpot Tickets
Irish Lotto is drawn approximately 7:55 pm GMT every single Saturday and Wednesday. Numbers are renewed on the Irish Lotto Results page not long afterwards, with the complete jackpot breakdown following soon after.
Buy Irish Lottery Tickets
The US Powerball online lotto has made more prizewinners around the globe than any other lottery. Not only that, but the US Powerball currently holds the world record for the biggest ever jackpot payout!
Play US Powerball Online
It's easy to enjoy Euromillions online, You can play from anyplace in the world! All you must do is pick 5 regular numbers from a total of 50 and 2 bonus balls (also known as 'Lucky Stars') from a total of 11.
The biggest Mega Millions jackpot that has been won by only one individual is 265 million dollars. It was given away on February 24, 2015, and the winning numbers included 26, 32, 44, 45 and 58 + Mega Ball 11.
Play Mega Millions